Deckertring Grand Prix Fast Facts
Race date: Thursday, Mar 2
Track: Deckertring, 4 mile natural terrain road course, Theresa, WI
Race distance: 20 minutes
IndySlotCar Website: indyslotcar.com
2017 race winner: John Wiedemann (No. 59 Angry Squirrel Speedsport)
2017 Firestone P1 Award winner: John Wiedemann (No. 59 Angry Squirrel Speedsport)
One-lap qualifying record: Mark Walczak, 4.500 seconds, 2009
Race record: Mike Fitzlaff, 233 laps, 2015
YouTube Broadcast: IndySlotCar Channel
At-track schedule (all times local):
6:00 – Gates open
6:30 – Driver introductions
7:00 – Drivers meeting/ Chassis distribution
7:05 – IndySlotCar Series Practice
7:30 – Qualifying for the Firestone P1 Award (group qualifying/ fastest single lap)
7:55 – Heat races
8:30 – Deckertring Grand Prix
· The Deckertring rejoins the IndySlotCar Series schedule after missing the five previous seasons, in a new location, the third for this track, now in Theresa, WI, but back in control by the track’s original builder and owner John Shea, who has returned to the series after an 11 year absence, this will be Shea’s first start on his home track in that same time.
· Joe Heitz is riding three-race winning streak and the winner of four of the last five races, climbing to within one point of Husarsbilt Cup championship leader John Wiedemann. Heitz was 63 points back after the Christmas Classic, before he went on this tear.
· This will be the first time Heitz has raced on the big Black Forest road course, while John Wiedemann is the defending race winner from that last event five seasons ago.
· Bill Black has been trying to keep pace with the top two, making finals, but just one win, with Heitz and JW with four and three victories respectively. Black sits 36 markers behind Wiedemann.
· STATS WATCH: Heitz’s latest win takes him past his Michael Shank-It teammate on the all-time victory list with seven, now ranked 16th. Dean Strom’s pole position at Turtle Creek is his 23rd, equaling John Wiedemann, the two are tied for eight all-time. Mike Lack tallied his 33rd DNF at the Rotter Memorial, tying his Angry Squirrel Speedsport teammate Matt Hayek at seventh, while Dean Strom DNFed for the 30th time, pulling even with Hall of Famers Larry Rotter and Jim Kaehny at ninth.
DECKERTRING HISTORY (13 events, 2007 - 2017)
Date Race Winner Event Name
3/1/2007 Mark Walczak Deckertring Grand Prix
3/13/2008 Ev Kamikawa Deckertring Grand Prix
3/5/2009 Mark Walczak Deckertring Grand Prix
3/18/2010 Mark Walczak Deckertring Grand Prix
3/17/2011 Mike Lack Deckertring Grand Prix
9/22/2011 Mark Walczak John Shea Memorial Deckertring Grand Prix
3/1/2012 Mike Lack Outpost Natural Foods Grand Prix
2/14/2013 John Wiedemann Deckertring Grand Prix
1/30/2014 Dan Margetta Deckertring Grand Prix
2/5/2015 Mike Fitzlaff Deckertring Grand Prix
2/4/2016 Mike Lack Deckertring Grand Prix
1/26/2017 Matt Hayek Deckertring Grand Prix
9/17/2017 John Wiedemann Deckertring Grand Prix
Most Wins: 4-Mark Walczak; 3-Mike Lack