2017-18 Round 1
Trokan Cup 500 - Mini Milwaukee Mile - Greendale, WI
August 31, 2017
Round 1 of 16
Lack Takes Trokan Cup
Greendale, WI - Mike Lack picked up right where he left off last season, after that dramatic win at the HO Indy 500 to finish the season, Lack had no trouble taking this 500, the Trokan Cup was all his. Easily holding off Mike Fitzlaff and Mike Kristof on his way to his 27th career victory and the opening round of the 25th season and the first of the Founder's Five races. Tom Spehert had a solid showing at his home track, making the final and finishing fourth. Read the complete box score.
Season 25 Opens Thursday
(Lloyd Ruby's #25 1970 Mongoose-Offy)
Greendale, WI - The 25th IndySlotCar season begins Thursday at the Mini Milwaukee Mile for the Trokan Cup 500, the classic bull-ring oval will open the season outdoors under the lights where Dan Margetta is the two-time defending race winner, while Mike Lack seeks his fifth straight season championship. The race is also the opening round of a special 25th season championship, the Founder's Five, see below. Look for the stars and cars of IndySlotCar Series to bring out classic machinery of season's past, as the rules that the drivers and teams must select one full-scale IndyCar driver/car/team to represent have been suspended this year, to commemorate the 25th season, any car that has run in the first 24 seasons is welcome to run. Read the complete preview.
Trokan Cup 500 Fast Facts
Race date: Thursday, Aug 31
Track: Mini Milwaukee Mile, 1 HO-scale mile oval in Greendale, WI
Race distance: 500 laps
IndySlotCar Website: indyslotcar.com
2016 race winner: Dan Margetta (No. 3 Penske HO Chevrolet)
2016 Chick-fil-A Brookfield P1 Award winner: Mike Kristof (No. 9 Target Fitz Ganassi Racing) 6.607 seconds
One-lap qualifying record: Ev Kamikawa, 1.102 seconds, 2006
Four-lap qualifying record: Mike Fitzlaff, 5.940 seconds, 2012
Race record: Phil Cianciola, 13 minutes 53 seconds, 2000
YouTube Broadcast: IndySlotCar Channel
At-track schedule (all times local):
6:30 – Driver introductions
7:00 – IndySlotCar Series Practice
7:15 – Qualifying for the Chick-fil-A Brookfield P1 Award (single car/four timed laps)
7:30 – Heat races
8:00 – Trokan Cup 500 (500 laps)
· The Trokan Cup 500 opens the 25th IndySlotCar season, it’s the also the first round of the “Founder’s Five” for the Cianciola Trophy, a special championship of the five oldest races on the schedule. This is the 23nd race held on the Mini-Milwaukee Mile and the 11th time the track will host the season opener. The winner of this race will also receive a special anniversary prize as part of the Founder’s Five series.
· Dan Margetta, has opened the past two seasons with a win at the Min-Mile and extended his career streak of 18 straight seasons of at least one victory, only Phil Cianciola comes close, with a streak of 12 seasons with at least one win.
· Ev Kamikawa has won this event the most, with 4 victories.
· Mike Fitzlaff is the last driver to win the Trokan Cup 500 from the pole, setting a track record in qualifying in 2012 and going on to take the checkers.
· Mike Lack comes into the season with four straight Husarsbilt Cup championships, a feat only attained once before.
MINI MILE HISTORY (22 events, 1996 - Present):
Date Race Winner Event Name
1/4/1996 Arnie Lueders Firestone 400
9/26/1996 Chad Sorce Ford 500
10/6/1997 John Baas Ford 500 (2 races in the
1/8/1998 Ev Kamikawa Firestone 400 97-98 season)
9/17/1998 John Baas Ford 500
10/7/1999 Ev Kamikawa Aero Race Wheels 500
9/21/2000 Phil Cianciola Aero Race Wheels 500
9/20/2001 Dan Margetta Aero Race Wheels 500
9/19/2002 Jim Iverson Chancery Restaurants 500
9/18/2003 Mike Kristof Krispy Kreme 500
10/21/2004 Phil Cianciola Milwaukee Mile presents the Mini Mile 500
9/8/2005 John Shea Milwaukee Mile 500
9/7/2006 John Shea Trokan Cup 500**
9/7/2007 Chris Spehert Trokan Cup 500 presented by the Milwaukee Mile
10/2/2008* Mark Walczak Trokan Cup 500
9/10/2009* Ev Kamikawa Trokan Cup 500
9/23/2010* Ev Kamikawa Trokan Cup 500
9/8/2011* Mark Walczak Trokan Cup 500
9/6/2012* Mike Fitzlaff Trokan Cup 500
9/5/2013 Mike Lack Trokan Cup 500
9/3/2015 Dan Margetta Trokan Cup 500
9/8/2016 Dan Margetta Trokan Cup 500
*- From 2008-2012 the Mini Mile was renamed RJ Foyt’s All American Raceway
** - Since 1997 the opening round trophy was the Trokan Cup, this was restored for the 2006-07 season.
Most Wins – Ev Kamikawa-4; Dan Margetta-3; John Baas, Phil Cianciola, John Shea, Mark Walczak-2