Race date: Thursday, Mar 23
Track: 2.5 mile Natural Terrain Road Course in Milwaukee, WI
Race distance: 8 minutes
IndySlotCar Website: indyslotcar.com
2022 race winner: Joe Heitz (No. 06 Michael Shank-It Racing Honda-Daboiler)
2022 Firestone P1 Award winner: Brad Core (No. 86 CBD Racing Chevrolet-Daboiler)
Track qualifying record: Mark Walczak, 4.000 seconds, 2011
YouTube Broadcast: IndySlotCar Channel
At-track schedule (all times local):
6:00 – Gates open
6:30 – Driver introductions
7:00 – Drivers meeting/ Chassis distribution
7:05 – IndySlotCar Series Practice
7:25 – Qualifying for the Firestone P1 Award (group qualifying/ fastest single lap)
7:55 – First Round of bracket racing
8:55 – Head to head final (8 minutes)
· Once again the IndySlotCar Series uses the special match-style format for the race that coincides with the NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament.
· Joe Heitz brings a series record tying four-race winning streak to March Madness and is the defending March Madness winner when the event was held at the Black Track.
· Since returning to the schedule on a regular basis in 2020, there have not been any repeat winners.
· Heitz’s win at the Deckertring also moved him to the lead of the Husarsbilt Cup championship, the #06 pilot leads Angry Squirrel Speedsport’s John Wiedemann by 15 points with three races remaining on the schedule.
· STAT WATCH: Brad Core’s pole position at the Deckertring makes him the fifth driver this season to score multiple poles, Mike Lack has the most with four. This was the third pole of Core’s career, moving to a tie with Chris Spehert, Steve Rist, Tom Spehert and John Baas, good for 19th on the all-time list. John Shea’s final four appearance at his home track was his 48th, moving up to 14th on the all-time list.
Bracket events HISTORY (8 events, 1996 – 1998, 2003, 2015, 2020 – Present)
Year Race Winner Event Title Track
2/15/1996 Phil Cianciola In Style Valentine's Challenge Shrine Road Course
2/13/1997 Phil Cianciola In-Style Pro Shop Valentine's Challenge Shrine Road Course
2/12/1998 Jim Kaehny Dean Foods Valentine's Challenge Shrine Road Course
2/13/2003 Jim Kaehny Palermo's Valentine's 200 Shrine Road Course
3/19/2015 Mike Lack March Madness Badger Raceway
3/19/2020 John Wiedemann March Madness Bermuda Raceway
3/18/2021 Steve Rist March Madness Rapids Oval
3/17/2022 Joe Heitz March Madness Black Track (oval)